2008-04-28

Darkness

'It's too dark and scary'
By Solly Maphumulo

Lack of electricity is taking its toll on Kempton Park residents who are
entering their seventh day without power.

Ekurhuleni metro municipality spokesperson Zweli Dlamini said power was
to be restored on Monday.

Residents were left without power after a fire at a sub-station.

For Kobus Stevenson and his family, the past six days have been
nightmarish. "This is unbearable. Our lives have come to a standstill,"
he complained as he made his way to a nearby shop to buy something to eat.

'It's too dark and scary'
"There is not much in the shop. Most of the delicate stuff is getting
rotten.

"If you buy milk you have to finish it the same day. This is so awful."

Lack of electricity has made it impossible for Stevenson to go out at
night.

"It's too dark and scary. The alarms are not working. We just have to go
to bed early.

"The problem is that my two sons do not understand why they have to
sleep early - they want to play games."

Domestic worker Maki Masana said she had been using fire to cook and
heat water to bath, and for her three-month-old daughter's bottle.

"I have to collect wood every day. What can I do? I have to make sure
there is hot water for Nthabiseng's bottle.

"This is becoming a big problem for me. I cannot afford a gas stove.
Whenever I make my daughter's bottle I have to make the fire."

Masana pointed at her two-year-old son's dirty feet - "I have been
unable to bath him thoroughly.

"The little hot water I get, I have to save for important things. I
can't bath him with cold water, I just wipe him with a wet towel."

When The Star visited Kempton Park on Sunday traffic lights were out and
most of the restaurants were deserted. The only visible activity came
from generator-powered shops.

This article was originally published on page 2 of The Star on April 28,
2008

0 comments:

© 2006 onwards The HMVH Corporation BBS Online.
Any part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission... ons gee nie 'n fok om nie!